Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Obsessing over differences

Olympia: Where psychobabble becomes policy.

As if we don't have enough taxpayer-soaking committees, boards and advisories, some legislators are trying to form the [deep breath] Joint Select Committee on Equitable Opportunity For All (JSCEOFA).

The JSCEOFA (as defined by House Bill 1659) would "consult with communities of color stakeholders" to make sure small children in our state schools have an unhealthy dose of diversity indoctrination before they're old enough to sound out the words (assuming they're fortunate enough to learn phonics).

The whole thing is a ridiculous idea. Diversity isn't something you can "promote" with a centralized program; it's something that flourishes when there is no centralized program to stifle and limit it.

Remember the old "patchwork quilt"? Proponents of "diversity programs" seem to want to stamp out thousands of identically bland patchwork quilts (hapless children who all have the same narrow understanding of "diverse"), rather than allowing each child to be a unique patch in the quilt we call culture.

Far better that we teach children to read, write, do math, think critically, and recognize that humans (who come in all shapes, sizes and colors) share the capacity to reason and communicate. That's the common ground that breeds respect for benign differences. Obsessing on those differences, for whatever reason, is counterproductive.

5 Comments:

At 2:37 PM, Blogger Alexander said...

Well said. When are you going to run for head of the state education? You've got my vote!

 
At 4:28 PM, Blogger I am Coyote said...

Marsha!!

Well, it is cool to see your blog. I am not sure if you remember me or not, but I we met at the Republican Convention last year.

I believe it was initially at the Reed Davis event.

Now this is just great... I have another blog that I have to make "must read" material.

By the way, I too "just had to write," and started my blog at NWRepublican.blogspot.com.

However, please bear with me as I learn some of the "ways of the web."... ugh...

Oh... and I AM Coyote.

Ted

 
At 4:49 PM, Blogger Josef said...

Once again, your absence on a ballot is deadening our voice of reason :-(. But at least you're blogging, thank goodness.

That said, the mere thought of a Representative M. Richards, GOP-L (L for Libertarian) should scare a lot of people. So obviously, I know the WEA will gun for your head, but trust me: A lot of centrists and conservatives will gladly come out and slam dunk the Washingtion EVIL Association. THEY can throw money - but the money won't stick.

Why? Two words: REMEMBER 884?!?!?

Thanks for slaying that one. At least that's a Billion LESS dollars to fund this kind of crap.

Josef

 
At 3:31 AM, Blogger Marsha Louise said...

Oh dear, run for SPI when I can be a gadfly instead? Thanks for the vote of confidence though!

 
At 3:33 PM, Blogger Josef said...

At 3:31 AM, Marsha Louise said...

Being a gadfly is one thing. Seizing the commanding heights is another. One reason why the liberal lefty loons want Gov'r Gregoire so bad is, pardon me, yours truly. They do NOT want yours truly storming into Skagit Valley College with his redhead pals repatriating his alma mater and demanding "accountability w/ money".

Yours;

Josef

BTW: You FORGOT my blog - http://josef-a-k.blogspot.com !!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home