Friday, February 18, 2005

They're in your mind

My dad, a registered nurse, works with a drug research company, which is why I'm now participating in an out-patient drug study. I am a human guinea pig.

So this morning I was at the clinic having my reflexes checked with a little rubber hammer. Much to my disappointment over the years, no one has ever been able to get my knees to bounce. I really want to see them bounce. For some reason it's always a little alarming when the nurse tries and tries and finally says with wrinkled brow: "Huh. You have no reflexes." I always have to remind myself that my legs still seem to work so it's probably ok.

Anyway, today a new nurse was hitting me with the hammer.

(Key to the story: I know from past discussions that this nurse is politically and philosophically very liberal.)

As she bustled about getting ready, I made small-talk by telling her no one had ever been able to make my knees bounce. She assured me that she could.

She couldn't.

But instead of the standard response, she informed me that it was because I was steeling my will against it. She was serious. I was told to "think about something else" while she tried again. When it still didn't work she told me it was because I was still thinking about not letting my knees bounce, even though I didn't know it.

And it was suddenly clear: The reason liberals know what's best for everyone else is because they know what we're thinking even when we don't.

4 Comments:

At 7:42 PM, Anonymous Josef said...

You're a brave soul... and a pithy one.

As my friend Mary "Marummy" Lane says, Democrats "jump the gun" habitiually...

Josef

 
At 9:07 AM, Blogger David said...

I think that experimental drug is going to your brain.

 
At 12:02 PM, Blogger Marsha Louise said...

David -- To the disappointment of my hopes for growing a second forehead and a third arm, I'm actually not taking any experimental drugs.

 
At 3:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wanted to thank you for this excellent read!! I definitely
loved every bit of it. I have got you bookmarked to
look at new stuff you post…

my website :: click to read more

 

Post a Comment

<< Home