Sunday, April 17, 2005

Book Meme

1. You are stuck inside "Fahrenheit 451." Which book would you be?
It's been years since I've read that, but as I recall most of the books got torched. I'd like to be one of the ones that didn't get torched. If there were any.

2. Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?
If I ever have, you can bet I wouldn't publish it on my blog.

3. What is the last book you bought?
"Orthodoxy" by G.K. Chesterton. I already own a dog-eared copy and it's one of my favorites, so it became the prize for a target-shooting contest some friends and I had at the local firing range. I didn't have a "snowball's" chance of winning anyway, so it was perfectly fair to choose the prize and compete. (I took fourth place. Out of four contestants.)

4. What are you currently reading?
- The Bible.
- Another Chesterton book about St. Thomas Aquinas.
- "No Excuses: Lessons from 21 high-performing, high poverty schools." (Samuel Casey Carter)
- "Left Back: A century of battles over school reform." (Diane Ravitch)
- "End Times Fiction." (Gary DeMar)

5. Five books you would take to a deserted island.
No internet access on the island? Hmm. I'd take a copy of 1) the Bible, since it never gets old, and if a plane load of people made an emergency landing on the island one day, it would be invaluable in forming the new close-quarters stranded society. 2) "The Counte of Monte Cristo" by Alexandre Dumas because I forget all of the details every couple of years and it's a delightful read. 3) Paul Johnson's "A History of the American People" because I've been trying to get through that for years and I'd have more time there. 4) "Human Action" by Ludwig von Mises because I've heard it's one of the best books ever written on economics, and it's horrendously long, but I'd have time. 5) Going with Goldy's good idea, probably something about surviving or getting off of a deserted island.

4 Comments:

At 2:01 AM, Anonymous Gregg said...

ML,
Where can one buy books like 'Human Action' by Von Misis w/o paying a small fortune? I recently picked up a copy of 'Rights and Duties' by Kirk at 1/2 price in Sttl. But I only find a few books a year this way.

GMA

 
At 9:53 AM, Blogger Marsha Louise said...

Gregg -- Try www.amazon.com. You can get some pretty good deals there for new books, or choose to buy them used from sellers all over the country. I get a lot of great books that way. -- Marsha

 
At 4:16 PM, Blogger Steven said...

I guess you haven't read Fahrenheit 451 in a while. In F-451, people chose a book and memorized it in order to keep it alive.

 
At 4:14 PM, Anonymous mortgage online said...

like tumbler and tipsy days hopefully we will remain in high spirits. well, good day

 

Post a Comment

<< Home